Saturday, April 5, 2014

Chicken Spaghetti


While planning for meals last weekend with the "larger" family, I came across this recipe.  I knew I had the ingredients or something similar on the shelf.  My daughter-in-love Justina said she had wondered about this recipe - not quite sure how chicken and spaghetti go together.

I admit it, I'm guilty.  I never run to the store but rather make "substitutions".  On this day, it got me in a bit of trouble.  I used my healthier, lower sodium cream of chicken recipe (below) and didn't work with it enough to be "thick".  I also used more tomato sauce and diced tomatoes than I should have.  After 4 hours in the crock pot, it was looking pretty runny.

So, I added more velveeta and some rehydrated shredded potatoes.  This worked!  We had it over rotini and elbow macaroni.  I thought these also would hold the sauce better.  I like the "bite or spice" in this sauce.  It has a Mexican flavor.   We served with garlic bread and cabbage salsa/chips.  Garnish with cilantro if desired.

 
Condensed Cream of Soup Mix Recipe
By Linda Larsen, About.com Guide
Use instead of condensed canned cream soups in recipes. Just add the ingredient that forms the basis of the soup. Chop mushrooms, saute in a bit of olive oil and add for cream of mushroom soup. Add chicken for cream of chicken soup. You get the idea!
Yield: 3 cups dry - equivalent of 9 cans cream soup
Ingredients:
2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup instant reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon granules
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp. white pepper
Preparation:  Combine all ingredients and mix well with wire whisk until blended. Store mix in an airtight container.
To prepare as a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in recipes, stir together 1/3 cup dry mix and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened.  Add more water if necessary.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment