Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Leftover Easter Ham - what to do.....

 
 
 
Did you serve ham for Easter?  Get to bring some home?  Purchase it during the Easter sales?
 
Here are some ways I use ham.....(recipes included in this post are potato casserole, impossible quiche, sunrise breakfast casserole, split pea soup with ham, ranch oyster crackers)
 
If you had a boneless ham the following are easy ideas (bone-in below):
 
1. Serve sliced with a potato casserole.  Reheat sliced in a sauté pan with a little water and a lid.  It will steam and reheat.  My families favorite is Grandma Sue's potatoes:
 
I have recently been buying dehydrated potatoes in bulk foods or at Costco.  This casserole is a great use for these potatoes.  Rehydrate about 5-6 c. per recipe.  Baking wont take as long.  This casserole freezes well.
 
2.  Serve sliced with fresh baked rolls and salad.  We did this on Easter evening for a lighter supper.
 
3. Serve diced in macaroni & cheese.  I don't have a good recipe for this, Fred prefers Kraft out of the box :-).
4.  Serve diced on chef's salad.  Greens, raw veggies, sliced hard boiled eggs, crunchy bacon or strips of turkey.  Traditionally 1000 island dressing is used. 
 
5.  Have breakfast for dinner!  Quiche below is one of my families favorites.  (Jackie is my sister in law).  Small diced pieces could be added to waffles or pancakes and you could add diced ham instead of sausage to a breakfast potato casserole.  Included below.
 
 
 
 freezes well!
 
If you happened to buy a bone-in ham (which was .99lb last week where I shopped):
 
 Cut off the big chunks of ham and slice/dice for recipes above.  The leftover meaty bone is great soup in the making!  Split pea w/ ham soup seems to be a make or break soup!!  My niece Teresa loves it!  My son in law Cody hates it!  Fred's family grew a lot of dried peas on the family farm so I try and keep it in our menu once a year or so.
 
Here's the recipe I am using today:
 
 
 This recipe for Oyster Crackers is great for snacking or in soup!  I made them today with bottled ranch dressing instead of the oil and packaged mix.  I don't think I'll do that again.  The texture just doesn't seem the same.  Gwen Hudson is my model Grandma - she hosts a cousin camp every summer for her grandkids.  I hope to do that some day as well!



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment