Monday, April 14, 2014

Our family unique? Why?

From time to time a friend or relative will remark how unique the relationship appears between us and our adult children.  It seems pretty positive, most of the time!

If there is any effort that I would attribute it to, I think it has to do with the hard relationship stuff like:

Honesty - sometimes it's brutal honesty but it opens the door for communication and restoration and growth

Apology - when my kids were younger and I would errantly use "reactive" discipline vs "pro-active" discipline they would say, "you're going to be sorry for this later."  While that prompted me to improve my "pro-active" discipline it also indicates a willingness in our family unit to own our actions, words and attitudes and apologize when we are wrong.
 
Humble - being honest and apologetic requires humility.  Please don't mistake humility for humiliation.  There is no room in positive family relationship for humiliation but rather a willingness to love others as we love ourselves.

And then, I don't think you can't put a value on the family meal table and family prayer around that table.  Fred and I strove (is that a word?) and still strive to include this in our daily experience.  Stopping, quieting ourselves and inviting the God of the Universe to "sup" with us can only make your family relationships blessed whether it's a "hard stuff" day or an easier day.

Bless you as you strive to keep your family relationships open and honest.  God's Word will NOT return void. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment